The International Federation for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus (IF) is the international organisation representing people with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus (SBH) and their families worldwide. The organisation founded in 1979, represents Member Associations in countries all over the world and advocates for the human rights of individuals with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus.
The mission of IF is to improve the quality of life of people with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus and their families, and to reduce the incidence of neural tube defects and Hydrocephalus by primary prevention, by raising awareness and through political advocacy, research, community building and human rights education.
Our vision of the future is a society that guarantees human rights of children and adults with SBH, and celebrates their contribution in all areas of life. A society that practices also primary prevention of neural tube defects and hydrocephalus.
This demands strong political advocacy and international solidarity. IF promotes and protects these rights in accordance with the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
How does IF advocate on behalf of the SBH community?
Ensuring human rights to individuals with SBH demands strong political advocacy and international solidarity. IF promotes and protects these rights in accordance with the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities through political advocacy, research, primary prevention, awareness raising campaigns, human rights education and community building.
IF holds Special Consultative Status at the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations. Through the Fundamental Rights and Citizenship programme, IF holds a privileged relationship with the European Commission. IF is represented at for example the Board of the European Disability Forum (EDF), the Board of EURORDIS and the Board of the International Disability Alliance (IDA). IF is part of the Executive Management Team of the Food Fortification Initiative (FFI).
YOU can support IF in many ways by becoming an:
- IF Supporters: Follow IF on social media, share, comment and join our campaigns!
- IF Friends: Raise awareness on living with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus
- IF Champions: Support individuals with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus to be heard by policy-makers
- IF Advocates: Support individuals with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus to be heard by society
- Celebrate your birthday with IF! Set up a fund collect on your birthday on Facebook.
There is no small action when it comes to support IF, every action counts!
Support the World Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus Day!
- Donate and receive a handcrafted and personalised phone wallpaper inspired by the winning drawings of the World Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus Day Drawing Contest.
To receive one of these beautiful phone wallpapers, please click on the picture of the wallpaper you would like to receive to proceed to donation.
Please indicate your email address properly when proceeding to donation to allow us to contact you and send you the personalised phone wallpaper with your name.
By donating to IF you enable us to work towards our mission by:
- advocating for the rights of people with spina bifida and hydrocephalus
- supporting our members with knowledge and information
- raising awareness
- cooperating with partners and important stakeholders at international level.
For more information about what we do, please visit the Our work section.
Donations can be made directly to the IF bank account with the following information:
International Federation for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus
IBAN: BE43 4097 0695 1101
You can also donate directly to local Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus (SBH) associations in your country or in any other country. Please visit our Members page to access information about our members and other SBH associations.